Today the Supreme Court of the United States decided in favor of DACA, saying the Trump Administration’s decision to end DACA was arbitrary and capricious.
This is a great win for all our DACA recipients, the immigrant community and the country.. Since the Trump administration decided to end DACA in 2017, many of our young people have lived with great uncertainty. Today’s win brings a great victory in the fight to protect DACA, yet there is much still to be done.
We join our partners around the nation in calling for the following:
- That the Trump Administration and USCIS immediately accept DACA renewals and new DACA applications and restore the DACA program to its original state before termination
- That Congress must pass permanent protections and solutions that help people without hurting people; include at minimum extensions of DACA and TPS work permits and protection from deportation for immigrants in any stimulus packages moving through Congress to address COVID-19
- That our State/Local Leaders must get ICE and CBP out of our communities and work to provide free Covid19 testing, treatment and services for all, regardless of immigration status
- That we end systemic racism which will improve life in all our communities, regardless of the color of their skin and their immigration status
El Centro Hispano is committed to continue the fight for our immigrant community and work with our elected officials to pass legislation and policies that will ensure the protection of all our communities. We celebrate the Supreme Court’s decision today and we stand at the ready to continue the fight for all of our immigrant communities.
“This is definitely a win we must celebrate. But the fight is not over. There is much work still left to do to protect our families. This win should energize us to continue the fight for our people. ¡Sí se puede!”
– Pilar Rocha-Goldberg President & CEO of El Centro Hispano.