The Casa for Employment & Leadership (CEL) Community Advisory Committee is composed of representatives from CEL day laborers, local government and Police Department from Carrboro and Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, Durham Tech, UNC-Department of Social Work, Home Building Association, Marilyn Alexander and other members of the community, employer and was created to advise the CEL Staff of El Centro Hispano on various issues. El Centro Hispano recognizes that in order to fully take part in community organizing and represent the day laborers, they must be given the opportunity to participate in the decision-making process.
The goal of the CEL Community Advisory Committee is to assist the CEL Staff of El Centro Hispano to better represent and support the day laborers community. Members of the committee and the CEL Staff will work together to ensure the goals of the organization; programs, staff and committee are being met.
Article I – Name of Body
The name of this body shall be known as CEL Community Advisory Committee – CEL CAC.
Article II – Purpose of Body
El Centro Hispano recognizes that in order to fully take part in community organizing and represent the day laborers, they must be given the opportunity to participate in the decision-making process. By creating the CEL-CAC El Centro Hispano is honoring its commitment to work to straighten community, build bridges and advocate for equity and inclusion of the Latinx community.
The CEL-CAC will assist the CEL Staff of El Centro Hispano to better represent and support the day laborers community. THE CEL-CAC will look over plans that involve the day laborers and provide advise on steps that can be taken to improve plans the staff will have.
Article III –Composition and Membership of Body
Section A – Composition
The CEL-CAC will be composed in a manner reflective to the day laborers and the community we live in. The members will be selected based in the interest in collaborate to advance the goals of CEL and El Centro Hispano.
- The NV-CAC will be composed of a maximum of 16 individual members.
- One (1) CEL day laborer
- Two (2) El Centro Hispano staff (Vicky Cruz-Eliazar Posada/Pilar Rocha-Goldberg)
- Two (2) members of the Carrboro Government (Randee Haven-O’Donell, Rebecca Buzzard)
- One (1) member of the Chapel Hill Government (Sarah Viñas)
- One (1) member of the Chapel Hill Police Department (Capt. Josh Mecimore)
- One (1) member of the Carrboro Police Department
- One (1) member of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce
- Two (2) members of Durham Tech (Constanza Gomez-Joines, Jaclyn Krohn)
- One (1) member of the Home Builders Association
- One (1) member of the community (Marilyn Alexander)
- One (1) member of the Carrboro Business Alliance BIPOC
- One (1) member of the Department of Social Services*-Rebecca
- One (1) CEL Employer
- All members of the CEL-CAC will be in good standing with the staff of El Centro Hispano and support the values of CEL and El Centro Hispano.
- The members of the CAC will be proposed by the Committee members and each organization will select the best person to assist in this work.
- Newly selected members must agree to become official members of the CEL-CAC with the full responsibilities and limitations thereof.
Section B – Officers and Voting
The CEL-CAC will have a Chair, Vice-Chair and a Recorder & Reporter. The Chair shall be the CEL Coordinator of El Centro Hispano. The committee through simple majority vote will select the Vice-Chair and the Recorder & Reporter.
- The Chair shall run the meeting, create the agenda and send out any notification pertaining to the CEL-CAC.
- The Vice-Chair shall serve as chair the meeting should the Chair be unable to attend, assist the Chair to coordinate the events and agenda.
- The Recorder & Reporter will insure to keep records of the meetings and any monetary incentives given to the CEL-CAC members. In addition, the Recorder & Reporting will report to the Town when necessary.
All members of the CEL-CAC will be recognized as voting members in all matters before the committee, with exception of the Chair. The Chair shall only vote in the instance of a tie vote, therefore is not considered a voting member of the committee.
All voting shall be done in person through a secrete ballot, role call or a voice vote. No member will be able to use a proxy or yield his/her/their voting power to anyone.
Section C – Tenure
Members of the CEL-CAC will server for a minimum of 24 months (2 yearsd) from the moment the member accepts the nomination to the committee.
Should any member decided to end their participation on the committee, the member need only give due notice of the intention to leave.
Section D – Attendance
A member of the CEL-CAC who is absent for two (2) consecutive meetings, with out prior notice or just cause, will be considered for dismissal of the committee.
- Prior notice will be considered as written notice to the Chair of the committee at least twenty – four (24) hours before the meeting was set to begin.
- Just cause will be considered as any events that are out of the members control and would inhibit the member from attending the meeting
- Dismissal of the committee will consist of a simple majority vote of the present members at the time the member up for dismissal’s second absents has taken place.
- Should a member be voted for dismissal, the Chair will send a written notice to the dismissed member with a detailed reason for the dismissal and appreciation for the time served on the committee.
Section F – Dismissal process
A member of CEL-CAC can be dismissed before the completion of his/her/their term should the committee vote for the member’s dismissal.
Any CEL-CAC may move for a vote of dismissal based on the following reasons:
- Absents of two (2) consecutive meetings. See Article III, section D for removal process on this matter.
- Acts in a matter unbecoming of the best interest for the committee, CEL Staff or El Centro Hispano’s reputation, goals and work.
The member who moves for the dismissal of another shall present his/her/their argument to the CEL-CAC. The Committee will then all the accused member to present an argument, should the member wish to. After deliberation among the committee, the committee will vote on the matter. The matter will pass with a two-thirds (2/3) majority.
Should a member be voted for dismissal, the Chair will send a written notice to the dismissed member with a detailed reason for the dismissal and appreciation for the time served on the committee.
Article IV – Meetings
Section A –Meeting Schedule
All CEL-CAC will meet at least once a month. The Chair will insure the creation of a 12 months meeting schedule prior to the first meeting of the calendar year.
Changes of the schedule can be made by the chair, who must a month notice should he/she/they make a change, or via simple majority of the CEL-CAC voting members.
The change must be sent out within twenty-four (24) hours of the vote to change the scheduled date.
Section B – Special Meetings
The CEL-CAC can hold special meetings, meeting outside of the predetermined schedule, should the committee see fit to do so.
Special meetings will be planned for a specific issue(s). Should any voting members not be able to attend a special meeting, the absence will not be held against the member.
Section C – Minutes and Agendas
The Recorder & Reporter shall be responsible to record the minutes of the CEL-CAC meetings. Those meetings will be sent out to the committee within a week from meeting. They will be kept by the CEL Staff of El Centro Hispano and will be open to the public at request. El Centro Hispano reserves the right to deny access of such minutes to any request it deems unaccepting or misaligned with El Centro Hispanos mission and vision.
The Chair will ensure the agendas for each meeting are created prior to the meeting. The agendas may change throughout the meeting, should circumstances call for it.
Article V –Amendments and Adoption
Section A – Amendments or changes to CEL Community Advisory Committee
Changes to the CEL-CAC can be made by the CEL Staff of El Centro Hispano, with the advice of the Committee.
El Centro Hispano management reserves the right to change, restructure and/or end the committee should there be due cause for the decision.
Notice of any amendments or changes to the CEL-CAC will be given to all stakeholders within twenty-four (24) hours of the final decision.
Voting members may appeal to any changes by written notice. The CEL Staff and Management of El Centro Hispano will ensure all appeals are discussed and a decision is made in the spirit of the purpose of the Committee.
Section B – Adoption of the CEL Community Advisory Committee
The Casa for Employment & Leadership Community Advisory Committee will be adopted as an El Centro Hispano committee with its abortion of this document and the responsibilities it entails.